- How can the data-based monopolies of some large corporations, and the ‘winner-takes-all’ economics associated with them, be addressed?
- What are the ethical implications of the development and use of artificial intelligence?
- In what situations is a relative lack of transparency in artificial intelligence systems (so-called ‘black boxing’) acceptable?
- What role should the government take in the development and use of artificial intelligence in the UK?
- Should artificial intelligence be regulated?
The Committee wants to use this inquiry to understand what opportunities exist for society in the development and use of artificial intelligence, as well as what risks there might be.
“We are looking to be pragmatic in our approach, and want to make sure our recommendations to government and others will be practical and sensible.
There are significant questions to address relevant to both the present and the future, and we want to help inform the answers to them. To do this, we need the help of the widest range of people and organisations.”